Pages

Tuesday 10 January 2017

Weekly Activities/ Day 17/ Activity 1/ Week 4

Activity 1
On your blog tell us which of the icons you would most like to visit in your chosen country. Be sure to tell us why you have chosen it!
I would like visit the Brandenburg gate because It looks very interesting and I would love to learn more about the Brandenburg gate.  When I saw the picture of the Brandenburg Gate, questions started to pop in my head… is there a story behind this Brandenburg Gate? or whose idea was it to built this magnificent gate?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Von
    I also wonder about the same things. I want to find out why something was created and who wanted to make it. Keep up the awesome work.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Von and Daniel,

      You are not alone. I, too, have wondered exactly the same thing about many of the iconic landmarks both here in New Zealand and overseas. When I did a quick search on the internet, I learned that the Brandenburg gate was built in the late 1780s as a sign of peace. It was originally much smaller and one of 18 gates that surrounded the city of Berlin. It has subsequently been damaged a number of times and rebuilt. It was most recently refurbished or restored in 2000.

      I had the chance to visit Berlin a few years ago with my sister and we stood in front of the gate and just marveled at its size and appearance. It truly is a stunning piece of architecture.

      I hope that both of you will have the chance to stand in front of it one day and marvel at it as well :-)

      Auf Wiedersehen (Bye for now),

      Rachel

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.